Sunday, February 22, 2015

Mechanisms

As an assignment, I needed to find a mechanism that converts rotational motion to linear-ish motion. I chose a mechanism called a multiple straight line drive or a hypocycloid gear straight line mechanism. It looks like this.
Any point on the circumference of the inner gear will form a straight line when the smaller gear moves around in the outer gear ring. This is because the inner gear's diameter is half the length of the outer gear's diameter. Therefore, as the inner gear moves around the outer gear the piston will move up and down in accordance to the position of the inner gear. Thus rotational motion of the inner gear is translated into linear motion of the piston. This mechanism does not allow for much force to be exerted on the piston, however.

I initially chose this mechanism because it reminded me of a piston in a car's engine. I thought it was applicable to something I have used a lot. I think it can be useful in the engines of cars, though I am not sure if it would provide enough force. I was also interested in this mechanism because the linear motion of the piston is very fluid. As I was watching the video of the mechanism and thought about how it worked, I concluded that it would not be convenient to use this mechanism if the piston needed to move a large distance. This is because the height the piston moves is exactly the diameter of the larger gear. In order for the piston to move a large distance, the diameter of the larger gear would need to be that large distance, which would take up a lot of space.

3 comments:

  1. I like this model as well! You did a great job analyzing the structure, but my only suggestion I can give is that the first sentence of your explanation of the structure is a little confusing. Any point will form a straight line with what? Other than that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post really easy to follow. You explained the physics and the geometric relationship of the two gears and the piston very clearly. I liked how you gave a lot of thought to the applications of this mechanism, and especially how you reasoned that it might not be very convenient in the situation you proposed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you related this mechanism to a piston in a car engine because that was the first thought that popped into my head as well. Based on your conclusion of a piston, what's the biggest size piston we could go before it becomes too cumbersome or completely impractical?

    ReplyDelete